Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Miscarriage.

****Graphic detail of miscarriage. Be advised.

10 weeks, 3 days.

I started spotting on a Sunday afternoon around 6 pm. I thought maybe I had a busted blood vessel on my cervix from having sex. I called my OB and they paged the doctor on call. She called me right away, I told her my symptoms. She asked if I had any cramping and I said no. She then said that if the bleeding got so heavy that it filled one pad per hour, to go to the emergency room. She also said if the bleeding was still there in the morning, to take the day off, stay in bed, and call her again.

Things remained pretty much the same through the night. The bleeding still wasn't bad enough to need a pad, just a panty liner.

10 weeks, 4 days. Monday.

I woke up on Monday and went to the bathroom. There was blood on the tissue, but not really on the panty liner. I text my manager and laid back down. I stayed in bed until about 2 pm. Aaron was able to get off of work early since our boss knew I was on a temporary "bed rest". He got home around 3, and it was right then that the cramping started and the blood intensified. I called my OB again and she said I could take a Tylenol and try to rest. She didn't have any available appointments that day, but would get me in on Tuesday. I took a Tylenol and laid down. Around 4:30, the pain was very intense. I decided to take a shower because that's what I always did when I had terrible menstrual cramps.

I turned the water on and allowed it to get very hot. I was bleeding so heavily at this point, that I had to leave my underwear on in the shower. After about 20 minutes, I felt like I was going to vomit, so I got out of the shower. I called the OB again. I was scared and I needed to know what to do. She said to take more Tylenol. I asked if I could use a heating pad and she said yes. She knew what was happening, and I suppose from my own denial, I didn't realize.

I took the hot water bottle in and laid in the bed. The pain was very intense for about 30 seconds, and then would lessen for about a minute. This continued on for about 10 minutes, until I felt the need to "push". I can't go on here, but you know. If you've been here, you know. I now realize that these were essentially contractions. For some reason, I felt like I should use my phone to time them. I was able to provide the doctor with that information.

After it was done, the physical pain was over. I did continue to bleed for nearly 3 weeks. I went to the OB the next day, Tuesday, and the ultrasound confirmed the miscarriage. I did not need a d&c because it had been a "complete" miscarriage.