Sunday, September 6, 2009

Unlikely Friendship

Jessica and I's friendship probably doesn't make sense to a lot of people. I dated her husband. No, not like that.

Back in 2004, I was introduced to a guy named Ryan. We began dating, long-distance, and broke up just a few short weeks later. It just wasn't meant to be.

Shortly after, Ryan began dating Jes. She came to work at the company we both work for, and we began a friendship. Aaron came to work for our company soon after, and then we were married and the four of us were friends and we fast forward a bit to the summer of 2008.

Just weeks before her wedding to Ryan, Jessica learned she has suffered a miscarriage. She hadn't known that she was pregnant, but this news was devastating to her. She'd been told years ago that she may not be able to have children. To know that she had conceived, and then miscarried, was a heartbreaking loss.

When I announced my pregnancy, Jes was one of the first to tell me how excited she was for me, and how she would pray that things would go well for us. After announcing the miscarriage, Jes would send text messages out of the blue to say "hi" and see how I was doing.

And then she announced her pregnancy. And I couldn't have been happier for her! Truly, I have nothing but love and best wishes for her. Just because I'm not pregnant doesn't mean other women shouldn't be! (She's currently almost 8 weeks along!)

Anyhow, last week Jessica asked me if I would like her to come over and plant a flower in memory of the baby. I am not an outdoorsy girl, and have a hard time keeping plants alive (which she is well aware of), but Jes is a pro. She stopped by with a mum, one of my favorite plants because it mean's Fall, and got to work.


Then she pulled three stones out of her purse. Stones from her house, that she had painted for me.


She painted the "remembrance" and "love" stones to be placed by the flower.

She painted the "trust" stone for me to hold onto. To trust the Lord, to trust myself, to trust that one day, it will all make sense. It sits in a special place in our house, where I see it many times a day. It reminds me not only of trust, but of friendship.

A friendship that was unlikely, and yet, perfect.

8 comments:

Love said...

this is beautiful. i love hearing about truly great friends....that's what its all about. loving each other.

Debbie said...

That was lovely. True friends are a gift from the Lord.

Michele said...

How wonderful of a friend you have. That was such a beautiful post.

Many prayers that Jessica's pregnancy will be safe and healthy, and that you will join her on the journey soon.

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Now that's a beautiful friend. :-)

Erin said...

What a beautiful friend you have found. Hold tight to her.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful friend indeed. That's just beautiful...

*Lissa* said...

What a beautiful idea and amazing friend!

Mimi's Toes said...

Awh, how special! I got some beautiful mums this weekend.