Friday, August 13, 2010

*Very!* *First!* IV!!

It is so hard to believe that we are here! We have checked into our hospital room, which we are calling "the resort", and we are enjoying being together. You know what this means, right?

It means I'm not in labor yet. Otherwise I wouldn't be so jovial at 6:00 am.

My appointment yesterday showed everything being normal and good, except for my dilation. Not only was my cervix still completely closed, but it is "thick". This isn't a problem, only a roadblock to my girl.

Because my doctor and I decided that 41 weeks would be our cut-off date for this pregnancy, it was time to make a decision.

At 10pm, we arrived at the hospital, I received my *Very!* *First!* IV!! at the ripe young age of nearly 29, and a lovely dose of cervidil. And hospital ice - HOW COULD I FORGET THE HOSPITAL ICE! YUM.

Anyhow, the cervidil stays in for 12 hours, causing some cramping and thinning of the cervix. For some people, it will thin the cervix enough to break the bag of waters and for labor to begin. We're hopeful this is where we'll be at 11am today when they assess the situation.

If that is the case, and labor does not progress on it's own, we will start pitocin. Through my *Very!* *First!* IV!!
***** My childhood and adult fears of anything moving, fast, sharp, dangerous and overall not intended for children over age 12 has provided me with this being my first hospitalization since my own birth in 1981. This whole "IV" thing is new to me, as is the HOSPITAL ICE, OH EM GEE. I think I might stay here an extra day for the ice. Just kidding. Kinda.

Anyhow, if pitocin is needed (and likely will be), they will start that and we will wait. After reaching 4 cm, I will be allowed to transfer to the birthing tub if I wish, and that will help with the pain management.

But I'm not going to get that far ahead of myself. Right now, I'm hanging out with my husband, who is like a child on Christmas morning, as he keeps looking over to me from his chairbed, saying "We're having a baby!" and it is the most darling thing that makes me want to cry.

He even suggested we take a picture together to post on our Facebook accounts and I look like I've no makeup on (check) after a day of 120398 degree temps and humidity (check), and the trauma (not really) of my *Very!* *First!* IV!!

One day does not seem like a long time to invest to have our lives changed FOREVER.

Come on, little one! We're waiting for you! And they have really good ice out here!

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

I checked my phone 28,000 times last night :) Thanks for the beautiful update! I can't wait to meet her either! Enjoy this wonderful Friday the 13th...it will be the best day of your life!

Mendie said...

oh I have tears in my eyes....you are so lucky to have such a wonderful husband to go thru this journey with.

I <3 him for <3'ing you and your baby so much!

what a great day to have a baby!

Mommafo said...

Cracking up!!! The ice is heaven on earth!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy this day. Praying you don't need pitocin, but if you do it will be okay. Can't wait to "meet" Tiny Dancer.

Aunt Payton ;) said...

i don't mean to state the obvious, but
YOU ARE ABOUT TO HAVE A BABY. WHO HAPPENS TO BE MY NIECE. AND THAT MAKES ME (AND ABOUT A MILLION OTHER PEOPLE) EXTREMELY HAPPY. Just saying. See you soon, Muffin! :)

Kylee said...

So happy and excited for you!

Bacardi Mama said...

I'm so excited for you. What a perfect day to meet your beautiful sweet little girl.

Mimi's Toes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mimi's Toes said...

Aug. 13 is a beautiful day to have a baby...Tiny Dancer is getting ready to dance her way out and on to the next stage. Praying for a Fast, Safe, Healthy delivery...

Cristina Mahl said...

I'm so excited for you!!!! Yea!! Can't wait to hear it's official and see some pictures!!! And just on a side note...hospital ice seems great until your roommate's husband walks in with McDonalds and you have only graduated to popsicles.

Amanda said...

Good luck and I hope that you have a VERY EASY LABOR!!!!!

Debbie said...

So excited for you. And I know what you mean about hospital ice. Someday I am going to get an ice maker that produces that kind of ice! A girl has to have a dream.

Missy and JP said...

Yeah Natalie....yeah Tiny Dancer....yeah Aaron! The best day of your lives is finally here! Soon you will be holding a yummy little sweet smelling mommy and daddy melting miracle in your arms and she will be yours forever! Can't wait to hear all about her big arrival! Praying for you guys today and in the wonderful days ahead.....you can do it Natalie!

John 16:21
A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child has been born into the world.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Kathy Campbell said...

Tears in my eyes for you! I am so excited for you all and cannot wait to meet your little princess! Praying for an easy labor!

Nathan and Nikki Hillery said...

Yay! Praying for you! Can't wait to hear more.

the shoppe owner said...

Congratulations!

My first was induced as well. My pitocin drip began at 11:00 am and my little boy was out and in my arms at 7:43 pm! You are in my prayers today. The "ring of fire" (as I have named it appropriately) is quite a thing to face, but as soon as your little one is out and you are kissing her, you will already hardly remember it.

Jennifer said...

AAAAAHHH!!! Good luck!!! so excited for you! She's gonna be cute!!! Oh, and LOVED your last post!! :)

Michele said...

fingers crossed!