Monday, March 16, 2009

Change

I was looking through some of my old blog posts tonight, reflecting on college life, seeing growth. Not only in my writing, but in my life and my relationships. My old blog was started when I was a Senior at UT, spending hours and hours of my week involved with Campus Crusade for Christ. That time of my life was so unique and character defining. Even though my friendships have changed and I have moved, and moved on, I look back on those years as know they helped make me who I am.

I also found this quote I posted, from the book Fahrenheit 451, which I had to read for a communication class.

"Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there. It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime."

I am still searching for my something to leave behind. My something to make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is beautfiul! I think it is a life long search. The sad part is you may not know what you left behind until you are gone? Your a great woman and I am lucky to call you friend.