Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Clubhouse


When I was a little girl, I used to invite my neighbor girls over to play "club". Any kind of club would do, from the "Lisa Frank Sticker Club" to the "Kitty Cat Club". I had a fantastic clubhouse in the backyard of our house, and I spent many hours a day hanging out there with my friends. My clubs were exclusive, no boys allowed. My poor brother would run around the yard with his friends, and beg to come into the clubhouse. He was only allowed in it when I was out running around town, trying to find cats to steal for our "Kitty Cat Club". Have no fear, my mother was quick to address the issue of stealing our neighbors cats.

My friends and I spent all summer coming and going from that clubhouse. We not only used it for our "meetings", we also had occasional Friday night sleepovers, and Wednesday afternoon reading time. We ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the clubhouse, and we colored pictures for our moms. We made flyers advertising our current club, and brainstormed ideas and names for the next great club. One of which may or may not have included selling bird feeders made out of milk jugs and bird seed that we stole from my mom (I'm starting to notice a pattern here that I've cleary been in denial over for many years).

Now I'm older and most of the "Lisa Frank Sticker Club" members belong to a new club. A club that doesn't have a membership fee of sticker trades, a club that allows membership to anyone who applies, and even some who aren't sure if they want to sign the club agreement. A club where the rules aren't taped to the inside of the door, and you can't give up and change the name when it gets boring. Their new club doesn't collect kitties, either.

I want to be a member of the Mommy Club, but I think my invitation is lost in the mail.

One day, though, I hope it arrives. And I hope it has a big fat Lisa Frank sticker right on the front.
*Clubhouse pictures taken May 10, 2009. Roughly 17 years after I last climbed the ladder.

7 comments:

cassie said...

awww Natalie! This is a great post! I too had a Lisa Frank sticker club. Everything happens in time. You are in my prayers my love :)

Toni said...

That really is a great post! The memories of the "club" days came reeling back to me - along with childhood pangs of jealously for that AWESOME clubhouse you had! I would've been in heaven with that. We made clubhouses out of anything we could find - branches, bricks, lawn chairs, blankets and fridge boxes LOL
Your club membership will come ;)
Toni
PS - we were all about sticker clubs - I still have my whole suitcase collection. I should get it out and look at it :)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

It's on its way. I just know!

Steph

GodseySix said...

Wow! I don't really know what to say. Very nicely written, though. Love this post!

Mommy In Pink said...

What an interesting post! Your time will come, and when it does, it will be when you least expect it!

Many hugs and prayers to you!

Kristy

Rachel said...

This such a wonderful post.
You took me back to the days of Trapper Keepers and Baby Sitters Clubs and then tugged my heart with the last bit.

Your day will come ;-) Hope and Blessings

Erin said...

Oh, I am jealous of the clubhouse you had!
And I am betting that invitation will show up in the mail when you are least expecting it. I can't wait to hear all about it, too.