Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Never the same, but yes.

In this club, the membership eligibilty is loss and no one wants in. But here we are.

Our stories are similar, but not the same. Never the same. It was my first baby, my mother's third and fifth, my grandma's fourth. Never the same.

I was nearly 11 weeks, she was further. She held her baby, and then released him to Jesus.

Never the same.

There is a loss that brings old friends together. A loss that brings new friends into our lives.

But the ties that bind are strong. There is compassion and love and immediate friendship. A connection beyond ourselves, and we know who brings us together. Our Angels bring us together.

A shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen. A friend to call on in the darkness. She has been there, He understands, They know. Our stories are never the same, but yes. They are so much alike.

Longing, then loss. Grief and coping. Living, despite the pain.

We are united, and together we stand.



*Should you be here today because you too are a member of this club, I am so sorry. You are always welcome here, please email me if you'd like to talk.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right that the stories are the same but different. Losing part of you is indescribable. I never thought I'd be part of the club, but I, like you, had it as my first experience with pregnancy (and my 4th).

Julia said...

Isn't it strange? I've thought alot about this too lately. In going through this, the more of my friends that found out, the more of them told me that it happened to them too. Yes, a membership in a sisterhood you never wanted to be invited to. I completely understand. My due date was last weekend and I had a pretty tough week leading up to it. I kept thinking about these women that I know and how they have managed to survive, to live, and somehow have the courage to have other children. I look up to them and hope to one day find myself in a place where I am really living again and not just going through the motions.

Bacardi Mama said...

Unfortunately, I am also a member of this club. It was 28 years ago, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Debbie said...

It is a club that many of us are members of, none of us asked to join, and for whom the memories are always fresh even 24 years later.

Michele said...

You're right. We are so different yet bound together by the same. We are orphaned. Our babies are gone. And that hurts so much. Forever. It's something we cant simply overcome. It's a membership we cant lapse or run away from.

Sara Joy said...

I hate that we have to be here, but I am so, SO blessed to be in the club with you. <3

Zakary said...

Hugs to you.

Unknown said...

I love this post. SO so lovely!

xoxo