Thursday, July 1, 2010

A rant.

I’m really quite surprised by who makes accommodations for pregnant women. Don’t get me wrong, I can still open my own door (for now), but it is nice to have someone do it for you (pregnant or NOT!). But I am constantly surprised by who my door-holders are, now that I’m (very) visibly pregnant.

Men.

Men whose wives have probably said “HOLD THE DOOR FOR ME, OR I’M NOT GIVING THIS BABY YOUR LAST NAME.”

Young women.

A category that I myself fell into just 9 months ago. There was always something about the way a pregnant woman walked/waddled that made me think I should help her however I could. It had to do with my upbringing. My parents taught me to respect people.

And this is surely a generalization, but I’m super frustrated with the women who are older than me who walk right past me, or allow ME to hold the door open for THEM. As if, during their pregnancy, someone slighted them and didn’t hold the door open for them. Or they think I need to earn my door-held-open-ness. It kinda irks me, if I’m being honest.

I was leaving Panera today and a woman who looked like she was my grandma’s age was entering. Not only did she wait in between the two doors for me to leave, but when I held the door open for her, she didn’t say thank you. I was shocked.

I don't feel like I'm entitled to much, especially not having a stinking door held open. But if I hold the door open for YOU, I do expect a thank you. Don't be rude.

I guess I’m getting grouchy. You’ve been warned.

9 comments:

corrin said...

When I hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you, I have a tendency to say "you're welcome." Very loudly. Mike says I'm sure to get punched one day.

Aunt Jen said...

I completely agree....I remember thinking that about the women. Were you not taken care of while you were pregnant so you must not help others? Nasty cusses :) I love you and I will always hold your door!

Aunt Jen said...

Oh yea and I do that what Corrin does because I can be a nasty cuss also :)

Mendie said...

i detest rude people, it takes more energy for them to ignore you and get out of the way then to be nice and help a sister out! You would think that older women who had gone thru the same thing would try to end the cycle and always do it for the newbie preggers. Oh well, guess that falls into the some people just don't' give a crap for others emotions pile. That pile needs to stop growing...

Kylee said...

This is one of my biggest pet peeves! I always hold the door even if I have to wait a little bit for the person coming. And I HATE when they don't say thank you. SO RUDE! I feel ya!!

Mariah said...

When people don't say thank you i say you're welcome too. lol People are so rude these days! Love you! :)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I get grouchy by those things, too. I know just what you mean!!

Steph

Holly said...

it makes me nuts when people don't hold doors and even more when they don't say thank you when I do it! The worst is how hard getting through doors with a stroller is and how super inconsiderate people can be when you're trying to do so. arg super huge pet peeve of mine

Ashley said...

A friend of mine said something that I used during my pregnancy,

"Thank you, but I'm pregnant, not broken. I can do it."

To expect someone to pamper you because you're pregnant is stupid. I never did and I had a really rough pregnancy.

People are silly.