Monday, January 25, 2010

Homesick

I shouldn't be here. I should be at home.

Texas is beautiful. It's a cool 40 degrees right now, but by noon, it will be 65. Authentic Mexican food at every corner, a slower way of life, "Thank you Ma'am" and "Yes Ma'am", I long to be so polite to strangers.

An early morning wake up from a 3 year-old who just wants Uncle Aaron to "dit up" and watch "bartoons". A good morning kiss for Aunt Madalie.

The sun is shining down on the river and the deer graze in the field right by Starbucks. I sit on the patio here, and I see the river, feeling the sun warm on my face, even though I am cold.

I should be at Starbucks in Schererville. Wearing yoga pants and a too-small sweatshirt, a scarf and any shoes that fit, with a puddle from melted snow at my feet.

Aaron and I love to travel, vacation and spend time with family. This is our third trip to Texas in as many years. Our time to forget about the cold and shoveling and the driving in sludge.

When I found out in June that we were having a baby, I told Aaron I wasn't sure if we'd be able to come to Texas this winter. After talking with my doctor and receiving a due date of February 18, we discussed the possibility of traveling to Texas in December, before Christmas, to see how people celebrate winter holidays without snow. I imagine it'd be hard for me to get into the Christmas spirit without cold and snow, but I didn't have to try.

And so here we are. Because I'm not wearing clothes that are too tight, and I'm not dealing with Braxton Hicks contractions. I don't have a bag packed by the door, and the spare bedroom has yet to become a nursery. The vacation I thought we wouldn't be able to take is nearly over, and we'll be back to the life we've come to know. Which is a beautiful, wonderful life.

I'm ready for the comfort of my own bed, my own shower, and more than 3 clean shirts to choose from (that's debatable, depending on how the laundry room looks). I'm ready to see my puppy, and have him keep me warm by laying on my feet while I lounge on the couch, watching episodes of Ellen and Real Housewives.

I want to be home.

5 comments:

Mendie said...

I like the pronunciation of a child...my little cousins used to call me "Nendee" and I used to pronounce my mom's last name as "Pith" because I didn't do well with my S's and Smith just was soo hard! LOL!

I bet your pup can't wait to see you either...have a safe trip back, soak up a little more of the sun. Your home misses you too!

*Lissa* said...

I'm sorry that the trip brings out mixed emotions. xoxo Enjoy the warmth while you can though, it's FREEZING up here. ;p

Siobhan said...

Enjoy it before its over Nat! When you get back to the snow you might tell yourself you wish you were backin texas :)

Emily said...

I am hoping that you will find comfort - and will be able to enjoy the warmth a little while you have it. :)

Peace.

Mommafo said...

You are a fantastic writer! So beautiful.